Monday, April 27, 2009

Finally finished!

This is it - my son's cot bed blanket finally all joined together and all loose ends worked in!

This blanket has been made to fit his cot bed so hopefully he'll get a good few years use out of it on his bed and after that he can always have it as a lap-blanket when he moves into a proper sized bed.

The squares are all joined with the single crochet method which leaves a lovely ridged effect on the back of the blanket which makes it even warmer. However, using this method also meant that the blanket became a little smaller than I had thought so I ended up having to crochet another load of granny squares so that it would still be the right size for the cot - oops!

I just love how the colours all seem to complement each other so well on this blanket. I've used a range of yarns from my stash (mostly acrylic) including some of my favourites which I've been saving for a special project. Because of how much yarn this project seemed to be using I even had to borrow a few extra colours from my sister's stash as I was fast running out. Oh - and the purple & lilac squares were also a late addition due to shortage of blue yarn... but somehow it all seems to work.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Happy (late) Easter!

Happy Easter everyone!

I'm really sorry that there has been such a long gap since my last post - there has been crafty news to share but unfortunately illness in Tea Towers has prevented me from sharing any of it until now.

It seems that Easter caught me unawares this year and I didn't get around to making anything for family gifts apart from these little (very little - only size A7, that's an eighth of the size of A4) butterfly cards to send out with a few small Thornton chocolate bars. I really love making my own cards though - and these were really easy as I just recycled a butterfly card that I received a few years ago which had 9 lovely little butterfly watercolours on.

In other crafty news I'm still working on my little boy's cot bed blanket... I've very, very nearly done as I've made all the squares, joined them and added a simple plain border... but I'm being a little useless about weaving in the huge number of ends. Hopefully I'll get it all finished off in the next week or so and be able to take some decent photos of it to post here. I'm really proud of how it has turned out and I can't wait to share it!

This has got to be a short post as I have a baby who needs his food now - but I'll try to get my next post up in the next week or so.